Pottukadalai Ladoo or Maladu or Maa Laddu is a popular sweet from South India mainly made with roasted chickpeas. I just made them to celebrate my happy blogging days. I never realized that so many people are reading my blog regularly and it has given me an extra energy to start a fresh year of blogging. So, I made ladoo with some roasted gram. Roasted grams or split chickpeas are packed with nutrition and this ladoo is simply delicious. These maladu are one of my favorite ladoo as they simply melt in your mouth.
You can watch the complete process to make these ladoos in this quick video by me:-
Roasting gram till it leaves a nice aroma is very important. So, do not skip this step. Make sure you start making this ladoo when its still warm. The specific heat of ghee is very high. So, be careful while making balls. You can use gloves to make balls too. Read the complete steps before you start making these maladu and enjoy :)..
POTTUKADALAI LADOO / MALADU RECIPE / MAA LADDU
Make delicious sweet for this festive season with roasted gram combined with sugar and ghee and lovely flavour of cardamom!
Author: Priya Shiva
Recipe type: Sweet, Dessert
- Roasted gram / split chickpeas / pottukadalai – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Ghee / clarified butter – ¼ cup + 1 tsp
- Cardamom – 2
- Cashew nuts – 6 (chopped)
- Raisins – 6
- Roast the gram on low flame for few minutes in the same pan till it starts leaving a nice aroma. Do not let the color change and keep stirring.
- Remove from the flame and let it cool down completely. Now, grind it to a fine powder.
- Grind sugar and cardamom to a fine powder.
- Add sugar and roasted gram powder in a mixing bowl and mix it well. Add roasted cashews and almonds and mix it well.
- Heat 1 tsp of ghee in a pan and roast cashew nuts and almonds on low flame till cashews turn light brown Keep it aside in a bowl.
- Add remaining ghee and warm it.
- Add the powdered roasted gram, powdered sugar and combine. Remove from the flame.
- When its warm itself start making small balls of the mix and keep it aside.
- Once it completely cools down, store it in an air-tight container. You can store it upto 2 weeks in a cool place.
If the mix completely cools down and you are not able to make balls, do not worry. Heat the pan again with the mix and stir for 2 minutes on low flame. Remove from the flame and start making balls again.(priyakitchenette.com)